I have been waiting to post this for a month and a half! At the beginning of December, my local support group had our annual Christmas party. At one of these parties a few years ago, my friend Grady brought a green bean casserole that he made with onions he had fried himself. I don’t eat green bean casserole – can’t stand the stuff. But these onions were so good I kept picking them off my husband’s plate. So, back to the future, I mean present (or recent past). I show up to the party and Grady hands me this sandwich-sized ziploc container. Truthfully, I was a little puzzled at first (all I could see was paper towel). Boy was I excited to open it up and find it full of the fried onions! He had brought me a whole bunch of them, sans casserole! I sneaked a few and then hid the box in my purse, so as to save them from the other party-goers.
I have finally gotten the recipe from him and his wonderful wife, Kitty. So, without further, ado:
1 big honking onion (color of your choice)
3 Large eggs (well beaten)
2 cups Brown Rice GF Flour Mix (with xanthan, or add 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Slice onions into strips (or rings), and place in freezer.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour and seasoning.
3. Dip a small hand full of onions into the eggs and shake off excess.
4. Place onions in flour/seasoning mix. Coat well. Shake off excess.
5. Place onions back into eggs, and shake off excess.
6. Place onions back into flour/seasoning mix. Coat well. Shake off excess.
7. Deep fry @ 375º for approximately 5 minutes. (until golden brown)
8. Place hot onions on paper towel and salt and pepper to taste.
As you can probably guess, Carter kept stealing the onions as I was trying to photograph them. I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words (though his word of choice every time he sees that picture is “MMMMM”).