Gluten-free spiced apple wraps recipe
You just can’t beat a steaming hot apple pie or apple strudel, with sweet cream and a hint of spice. If that’s got your juices going, try this easy recipe tonight!
Ruling out pastry in your diet can make it difficult to enjoy puddings and treats. And let’s face it, making gluten-free pastry from scratch can be daunting and time consuming. Luckily, if you can get some soft gluten-free wraps, such as Newburn Bakehouse white wraps, there’s a third option – they make a super substitute for pastry in a lot of dishes, and they’re so easy to use, you just whip them out of the packet and go. There are loads of easy sweet and savoury wrap recipes similar to this one on newburnbakehouse.com.
- 2 gluten free wraps
- 5 cored, peeled and cubed apples (Granny Smiths are perfect)
- A handful of raisins
- 2 tbs Demerara sugar (a large grain raw sugar)
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 4 tbs water
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Gently cook the chopped apple – with water, raisins and cinnamon – for about ten minutes, until it’s all softened and gooey.
- Place the mixture in the middle of a gluten-free wrap, and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
- Put your rolling skills to the test! Roll up the wraps however you like, and place them on a greased baking tray with the folded side underneath. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle on some cinnamon.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160’c/150’c Fan (about 325°F) for about ten minutes – the wraps should be golden brown and crispy, like a perfect strudel.
This hot and fruity pudding goes beautifully with vanilla ice cream or Chantilly cream, or a simple gluten-free custard. You could also add some nuts like pecans or walnuts for a crunchy twist.